Sunday, February 27, 2011

The term "Superhero"

All right, I just have to say that I am not really much of a fan of the term "superhero." At least, not when it applies to people who aren't Batman, Superman, or that Nepali dude who fought off 40 men on a train last fall and didn't get even a little bit dead in the slightest.

Sorry if me going on about semantics is going to be something that bothers people, but yes, I just really feel that the term "real life superhero" is inaccurate when applied to people like me. I don't have any superpowers. I don't have a costume (okay, some people might say the hair is a costume item, but there is actually a tactical purpose behind the wig). I don't believe that what I do is all that awesome or heroic. I'm just doing what a regular citizen should do, which is calling 911 when something is amiss-- instead of walking by and pretending it didn't happen, which is what many people seem to think is the correct response when they see something terrible happen.

That doesn't deserve the title of "superhero." That's being a good citizen, or maybe just a regular citizen who happens to be a little more proactive than the average person about making sure shit they don't like doesn't happen in their city. I'm not a hero. Hell, I'm not even that great of a person. Sometimes I'm a total jerk. And I'm not even doing this because of any interest in the greater good, or for justice, or some higher power, or anything like that. I'm doing this mostly because it's interesting to me, and also because it pisses me off to see someone who needs help and watch other people walk by and do nothing. That's it. It's not exactly altruism, and I don't think I deserve a merit badge for doing what I do.

I guess the RLSH crowd is the closest thing to a community that we have for people who are into this sort of thing. Even though I disagree with the name, I approve of the general idea of people putting some extra effort into standing up for their view of what is right in the world. I like many of the people I meet in this community, though I can really only identify with a specific group of people. I am not really interested in coming up with a "gimmick," designing a super sweet suit and developing a secret identity. I'm more interested in tactical gear, dressing for my own safety, and then going outside and getting shit done. I am not interested in internet drama, gossip, backtalk and chitchat about who's better and who's a fake, or whateverthefuck else people are arguing about these days.

If you're an armored crimefighter, awesome. I support you guys. Be safe and smart about what you're doing. (And if you're 12 years old or don't know how to throw a punch or are wearing spandex instead of protective gear, GO BACK INSIDE!) If you're more interested or better equipped for homeless outreach or charity work, sweet. Go do that. People in this community should just go out, do what they do best, and quit arguing about whose approach is better or which person in the community is an asshole. (hint: if you're talking shit about someone else on the internet instead of going out and getting shit done, you're the asshole)

Anyway, I suppose this has kind of turned into a rant about what's been bugging me lately, so I guess this has gotten a little off topic. All I'm really trying to say here is that I'm no superhero and I think it's silly to label myself as one. So, that's why I don't really consider myself to be RLSH. Doesn't mean I don't like some of you guys, though.

8 comments:

  1. "I'm not a hero."
    Hero –noun
    1. a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities.
    2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: She was a local hero when she saved the dying addict.

    Sorry milady, you are guilty on both counts. Good luck out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you just keeping your options open so when you decide it's no fun anymore you can say "I never said I was a hero, those were your words" when people point and gasp at unheroic conduct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very sweet, James. Thanks for your support, even though I still can't call myself a 'hero' in good conscience. :)

    Agent Beryllium: No, that's not why I dislike applying the term 'hero' to myself. From what it seems to me, you and I seem to share a lot of the same criticisms of the RLSH movement, so I'm not sure why you're trying to call me out on this when I'm rejecting being called RLSH for the same reasons you think the RLSH are stupid.
    I do unheroic things all the time. If I were interested in being a role model or keeping up a squeaky clean image, I would be editing the bad words out of my blog, refusing to drink in public, and I'd be doing things that take all the fun out of my hedonistic lifestyle.

    I just think that applying the term 'hero' to oneself is self-aggrandizing and indicative that one is living in a fantasy world rather than reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So in other words, yes, you're hedging your bets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Option A: Call myself a hero, then get held up to impossibly high standards, only to be brought down by pariahs who call foul (who, by the way, could never uphold the same standards)

    Option B: Deny the title hero, thus when it is applied to me and the impossibly high standards come into play, you can indeed, hedge your bets.

    This doesn't really seem like a choice, more like a survival strategy.

    Come to ponder it, I don't think I've ever seen one of this group accept the title of hero, for that in itself would be mocked to no end.

    "Oh yeah. I got the mask, I saved a kitten. I'm a !@#$%ing HERO! Give it up for J-MAN!!!!"

    Call Ashby Jones, I'm sure he'd love to do an article on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be interested in what your opinion is of RLSH who do good things when in costume, but in their personal life act anything but caring and heroic? I find such situations sad.

    Or who claim that what they do has nothing to do with garnering attention, but never pass up an opportunity to be on TV, be interviewed, or participate in a photoshoot?

    Or RLSH who give out their phone numbers to groupies while on patrol, so they can meet up with them out of "uniform" and make out with them?

    I commend you for your humility, from what I have seen, many RLSH make far too much out of what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This community isn't a "Movement" and people should stop calling it - that's a tactic a few people came up with so that they can try to define it as a whole, and thus control it, however I do agree with you that it's wrong for people to give the title Hero to themself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the most approachable/believable...costumed patroller that I've found online (albeit in a very short search), so I'll just ask: are you still at it? Or planning to continue when you graduate? Or ever checking this blog again?

    ReplyDelete